18 August 2006

sin city.

I had a very long day of driving today, and the road has ended in Death Valley. I think this is the hottest place I've ever been.

sand dunes in background prove I'm in the desert.

I started the day with the idea I'd head north to Salt Lake City, and then west to the coast via Reno, Sacramento and end up in San Fran. I had every intention of following this plan, but didn't.

near San Rafael Swell, Utah

Instead, when I woke up from a quick snooze in a gas station parking lot, I got on the freeway heading south west toward Vegas, baby. I scrapped all plans of sightseeing, and decided to get done with the driving. I'm tired of being on the road, and a road trip isn't as much fun when finding the smallest item requires digging through a most carefully and intricately packed car. Plus, as I got underway, the song "California Dreamin'" came on the radio, and I took it as a good sign.

I didn't know which street was the strip in Vegas, so I got off the freeway downtown, just to poke around for a minute. It wasn't the strip, but it was good and seedy, with bright flashing lights. I stopped for gas, and watched as 2 women played the slots on the other side of the store. It was only a peek into the world that is LV, but it was a good one. It actually makes me curious to go back and explore, if only once, just to observe, just to be a complete voyeur.

I crossed the border into California just before the sun went down. I got out and took cheesey pictures of myself by the sign. I've driven long distances before, but this felt monumental, and I needed to capture the moment (very unfortunately, in this very unflattering dress):


While the road meandered into Death Valley, I was listening to podcasts of the paranormal. I think I'm going to be abducted by aliens tonight.

No comments: