06 August 2006

go time.

A blissful couple of days, these last. 2 days with my brother and family, 1 evening with friends, and an overnight with aunties and mom.

I'm officially unemployed now, as of last Wednesday, and remind myself of the fact every day. Despite the miserable going-away party, my last day at work was really nice, and uneventful. It felt good to wrap things up, and organize and sort, but also to let go of all the things that never got done. The perfectionist in me was largely silent for that last day, and instead of stressing to get every single thing done, I did as much as I could, and let it go. I gave myself enough time to say goodbye to the people I'll miss, and enough stealth to avoid awkward encounters with those I won't.

I'm moving the big items tomorrow, with the help of my dad and stepmom. I'm keeping my bed and dresser (here, in storage) and most everything else in my apartment is going away. I plan to keep some things, like small kitchen appliances, and some of my beloved books, but I've already purged quite a lot, and more is to come.

I would like to be the kind of person who prepares far in advance for this sort of upheaval. I'd like to be the sort who is organized and discerning and makes great decisions. By this point in my life, I'm getting more comfortable with not being that person, no matter how much I'd love it. I'm the kind of person who leaves things off til the last minute. I finish things just in the nick of time to be 12 hours late, especially when it comes to moving. I have 8 days to get things ready to move to Cali. I can almost guarantee I'll be scrambling the night before I leave to clean, to find more boxes, to determine where the last items will be stored, to squeeze that one bag I almost forgot into my teensy tiny car trunk. This is who I am, and even though I'm getting better at alleviating this very behavior, there's enough of it in me to recognize it will always be in me, because it's how I do things best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey ang...
Yes! that sounds so familiar to me. it feels good though to let the expectation you have for yourself just go.
sounds like the countdown is on. Super excited for you and very, very jealous!