17 August 2006

recovery.

I'm having a lazy day.

Last night, trail's end was Evergreen, CO, at the home of Misty B., a kind soul who offered up a most comfortable bed, some good kisses from her pooch, and a sunlit morning stroll through the town and around the lake. I plan to get on the road later today, but am relishing this morning of nothingness.

Misty & Cadence, Evergreen CO

Yesterday was grueling, but good. I was on the road at 7am, and arrived here at 10:30pm. I also gained an hour going from central to mountain time, which puts overall travel time at 16.5 hours, down some pretty twisty roads, alternately losing and gaining elevation all the while (which the engine of a loaded down car doesn't really appreciate). I'm simply astounded I was able to do it.

Rather than taking the standard route of heading south from Mpls., turning right at Des Moines, and out through NE, I decided to take the northerly route, passing through SD, a bit of the Black Hills, then down through Cheyenne and into Evergreen by way of Denver. A good route overall, and far more scenic than the alternative. Most of the day was spent on I-90, traveling between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. It seems that most anything that's worth seeing (kitschy tourist attractions, I mean) in SD is located in this corridor, and the entire corridor is lined with signs inviting you to view any and all of them. Some of the signs that have stuck in my head include: Reptile Gardens (this ain't no petting zoo), The Lincoln Borglum Museum (he started at age 60!), The Corn Palace (we're all "ears"), Wall Drug (sign in Kenya, Africa), and Cosmos Mystery Area (feel the force!). The billboards are sort of cute and funny at first, and then they just become kind of annoying, because they are CONSTANT! and because they really are very bad, as though 8th graders were coming up with the phrases.

It was a very, very windy day, which becomes a bit stressful after a while. I was worried my bike was going to fly off the top, somehow. And it was hot, which meant I had to keep the window open to keep the air flowing through my un-AC'd automobile, and my hair was whipping around, and I couldn't hear the music, and I got a little bored on my marathon day.

mile 563, somewhere in SD (note thrilling scenery out window...)

Once I hit Wyoming, and changed direction so the sun wasn't hitting one side of my body, I relaxed a bit. I was actually able to close the window a bit, and hear the music better. I destressed significantly.

Anyway, I'm off to lunch and meander about Evergreen with Dad & Kathe now.

No comments: