25 August 2006

forgotten tomatoes.

I had another *discover Santa Barbara excursion today, this time by bike. It has been good to wander around in my car for the past couple days, because I'm not always great with directions, and can easily get lost, especially in a place where the landmarks don't go in straight lines, like one might expect. Note the freeway, and its meandering course. Note also the orientation of the streets, how they're a bit cockeyed? The streets actually run north-south, for the most part, but every map skews it like this. Not sure why, but it makes life difficult for one so directionally challenged comme moi.

In any case though, today was the day I got the bike out and hit the streets. First went to the library to get a library card, and acquaint myself with the place. Then, on to the Old Mission. If you're not familiar with the history of Santa Barbara and the missions of California, as in all things, wikipedia can enlighten. I got there late afternoon, right around 5, so it was closed, but I was able to walk around, and take a few pics.











After the uphill trek to the Mission, I coasted all the way down State St., all the way to the beach. It being Friday, everyone was out, heading to restaurants, shopping, strolling. I walked out to the end of Stearns Wharf and bought some saltwater taffy and toffee peanuts to quell my sweet tooth. The Tall Ship Pilgrim sailed into port, and was welcomed by the explosion of a canon, manned by a gentleman in period costume and goatee.

Now a leisurely evening at home, reading my books from the library. Tomorrow, to mark the occasion of my first week in SB, I'll visit the Maritime Museum, and maybe step aboard the Pilgrim for a minute. I've also been invited to a BBQ, so maybe I'll also meet some new friends ;)

*title credits: while getting my bike out from behind the garage, I spied something red peeking out from beneath the mad brambles of wild plants. This unruly patch of green appears be tomato plants gone wild and forgtotten, or some very, very convincing assimilation thereof.

No comments: