17 August 2006

creature comfort.

I drove almost 1000 miles today. The actual number was 979, which is short of 1000 by a mere 21 miles. So really, I think we can just round up to 1000 from there.

I finally got on the road last night, after 2 of the longest days ever. Monday was packing and sorting all day long with my mother. We accomplished a lot, and I was able to convince myself that I was within hours of completion, that I'd be able to finish by midday yesterday, and get on the road. Wrong-o. I woke up early yesterday and started in on the remaining tasks. Around 11 I started bringing the first items down to my car to begin the packing up of the vehicle. I stopped for lunch at around noon, and then again for a mini breakdown on the phone with Regan, but worked continuously the remaining hours of the day. I finally walked out of my apartment at 8pm. It didn't feel so much like relief, but more like a reprieve from an awfully long sentence. I drove all of 72 miles, to just before Albert Lea, before stopping to camp for the night.

sunrise over I-35, my first morning on the road.

My car is about as weighted down as it can be. The rear end of the vehicle appears to be just skimming the tires, though I can assure you it's not. Every inch of the back seat area is packed up, though I made sure to leave a clear view out the back window. The front passenger seat holds a cooler, and the backpack that holds everything I need on a daily basis. Every possible inch in the car is accounted for, including the roof, which is occupied by my bike and a large duffel bag designed for rooftop use. After my 1000-mile day, I'm almost convinced the things on the roof may actually stay there for the duration of the journey.

1 comment:

chinadoll said...

Rooting for you, you on the road.