21 July 2006

9 to 5.

I have just week and a half left at the museum, and one or two days left at the aquarium. I worked a dive program there this week, and had a moment of real sadness about leaving. I've been there over a year, and it's taken some time to find a niche. I was hired to work with the dive programs, but there was some uncertainty about what I'd do beyond that. Eventually it all came together, and it's proven to be a calming diversion to my full-time position. Diving (dive programs, and cleaning/ observation dives) and related activities (like food prep if I was going into the reef exhibit to feed the eels) became my only responsibilities and it's been lovely.

In the shark tank this week, I took some time to look around, to realize what an amazing opportunity it's been to work there. When all the divers had exited, Alex let me scrounge around on the bottom for shark teeth. I came up with four! The only other time I've found teeth was when someone else, someone on the outside of the tank, looking in through several inches of acrylic, pointed it out to me. Well, maybe there was one other time, but I've certainly never found four in one dive!

I don't feel any remorse about leaving my other job, on the other hand. In fact, I've moved up my date of departure by 2 days. It should be a wonderful place to work and a great position, but it's not. The primary reason for this, of course, is because I'm not meant for sitting on me arse 8 hours a day, at a desk, in front of a computer, engaged in activities and planning and conversations that aren't important or meaningful to me. I've felt this way before, and left previous positions in this same huffy and urgent manner.

I also had a job I loved once: working as a divemaster in Thailand, diving beautiful islands with new friends from everywhere everyday. Luckily, it's not what I'm leaving behind, but rather what I'm going toward that's propelling me.

No comments: