03 September 2006

anytime.

A holiday weekend doesn't have the same meaning when one is unemployed, really. I'm actually finding the timing of this particular holiday weekend a bit unfortunate. Here we've only just begun classes, and already have a day off! I'd much rather be in class on Monday, occupied, getting more assignments to occupy more time.

If you're not picking up on it, the bulk of my time is unstructured at the moment, a bit uncomfortably so. My time here has been amazing so far, and I love the area. I love riding my bike, I love meandering, I'm beginning to love just sitting at the beach. The problem is that there's a bit of an imbalance. I have so much down time, it's beginning to drive me a bit cuckoo. I've been unemployed now for a month. My in-class time for this past week was a good beginning, but I'm ready to throw myself into this, and I can't yet. Due to the holiday weekend, we have 3 days off, and then I also have Tuesday off, and now I also have Thursdays off for the next 8 weeks, due to the re-scheduling of the Hydraulics class/ lab combo. I don't know how to deal with this, actually. I'm really not good at unstructured time. I mean, I could be productive and spend more time working out, or more time writing, or reading, or getting out and meeting people somehow, and I was really trying to do that for the first week, but now, it just feels like it's all unstructured time, and there's no balance, and I don't really know what to do with myself anymore.

Ok. Deep breath. I am trying to appreciate what I have at the moment. If I think about all I've accomplished in the past month, it's pretty astonishing. And before that, I'd been working 2 jobs for more than a year. So I should really just enjoy this downtime, really relish it because it's been a busy summer, and it's been a busy year. It's just hard to appreciate something when you have so much of it!

No comments: