18 March 2008

huet.

Did I forget to mention I got a job?

Actually, I didn't forget, I just wasn't ready to make mention of it. I didn't want to jinx it, or just wanted to get comfortable with the idea, and celebrated it a bit myself before I shared it with anyone. I'll be working for a little ROV company called SeaTrepid. I've gotten some mixed reviews, but mostly no one's ever heard of them down here. I like the company because it's small, so I feel like I'll be able to gain experience, plus it's not so scary starting out as it might have been working for a bigger company. They also sound to be heading into new and bigger applications (bigger ROVs, also potentially designing and marketing their own ROVs). That it's a smaller company also puts me a bit on edge, as my experiences working for smaller companies haven't all been great. But, it's a good start, I think.

In order to go offshore in the near future, I need to have a bunch of new certs (more cert cards- yipee!), so today through Thursday, I'm in Houma, LA, at a training facility. Today was Offshore Water Survival (for sure the funnest of the classes), tomorrow is Rigging (useful), and Thursday is Safe Gulf (which I've heard is a snooze). Half of today's class was in the pool, and this gives you an idea of the day's last drills, to simulate an underwater helicopter egress:



overview.


topside.


underwater.

Per usual, I'm the only woman around who's not working admin, but I'm meeting a few good guys, learning more about being offshore. Surprisingly, I feel ok holding a conversation with these guys, like I actually picked up a thing or two during my MDT training. Admittedly, most of it was from Geoff's rambles, but still pretty useful.

I was also issued my very own hardhat, and bought my first pair of steel-toe work boots. I am my parents' child after all.



















Red Wing 1170: steel toe, waterproof.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not quite sure what the videos are all about but excellent choice of boots Ang! Dad

above|below. said...

I thought you'd approve, daddio!

tiny noises said...

congratulations!! i am also lost about underwater helicopters, but you are the coolest underwater chica I know.

Jennifer said...

Fantastic, Ang! I'm so excited for you. Hopefully we can touch base soon. Take care and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Baby, those are MINNESOTA MADE boots you bought. Atta girl. A little bit of home in your every day work. xo Jeannie