26 February 2008

a bit of progress.

I've been mute lately. For good reason: I've been trying to figure out what to do with myself. The plan all along has been to get to the gulf to get to work. When my car died, though, I had to reconfigure the plans.

So, here it is, the run down. I'll be brief, because my mind has little room for fluff and sentence formulation.

1. I'm kind of liking not having a car. I like not having to worry about when the car's going to explode, implode, whatever. It's kind of nice. Plus, I'm communing with my bike again.
2. Now, however, is not the most convenient time for me not to have a car, having planned the whole x-country drive to find work, and all.
3. Amtrak is a potentially plausible alternative to driving, by myself, for 25oo miles, for the second time in as many years.
4. I am blessed beyond belief by amazing relatives and friends and coworkers who offer little bits of help along the way, especially Rob, an MDT grad, who offered to help me get to the gulf, and housing once I get there, and Claudia, Ale, and CK + current coworkers who listen to my ramblings and sounding out of potential schemes, helping me to see reason beyond all the emotional nunsense in my head.

So. This is my last week of work. I'd love to say I've stockpiled loads of cash and am totally set to move, but you wouldn't believe that of me anyway, right? I'm glad to be getting out of SB before the sea swallows up the rest of my cash, and my tax returns. I thought it sounded like a good idea to stay, work full time for a while, but in reality, it's still not enough. This damn town eats a girl's money like an alky on a bender. It costs SO MUCH MORE MONEY to stay here than I'm actually making. I seriously don't know how or why people live here. For real, it's ridiculous.

My boy and I had planned to go to Death Valley for a last weekend together, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. If we do go, I'll start really packing/organizing next Tuesday. But (and this is the more probable possibility from where we stand at this particular moment) if we don't go, I'll just start packing on Sat., putting me on a train somewhere around Monday. The train takes 3 days, and I think I'll be opting for the:

Superliner Roomette

Superliner Roomette (Day)
cozy.

Our Superliner Roomette is ideal for one or two passengers, with two comfortable reclining seats on either side of a big picture window. At night, the seats convert to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. Roomettes are located on both upper and lower levels of our double-decker Superliner train cars.

Which sounds pretty rad, and a very good way to begin a new phase in my life. I'm thinking of it as an adventure, because if I start to analyze and realize that I'm not totally in control of every phase of this move, I start to hyperventilate and freak out, which can only be cured by test-driving old 4runners or drinking leftover wine.

One day at a time, to bring it back to the alky comparison. One day at a time, grasshopper.

3 comments:

roslyn said...

i've TOTALLY considered taking amtrak cross country. and, to keep with the alcoholic theme of the post, i've noticed people drink a Lot MoRE on trains.

and p.s. i have to have a squealy freakout --

the BOY!?!?!?!?

tiny noises said...

you are traveling and morphing in true ahne style, and it will all unfold and come together in exciting and beautiful and challenging and unexpected ways.

big love. -m

Unknown said...

Good luck and God bless on the next adventure. Let me know where you wind up and how you're doing! If you for some reason don't have my e-mail, you can always get it through Mic. I agree with "m" (tiny noises, hi!)it will all work out. It always has, hasn't it?
Love ya! K