07 March 2007

accentuate the positive.

It's amazing how debilitating internet service outages can feel. I love to boast to anyone who'll listen that I don't have a television, but I fail to mention how much time I spend on my computer researching, browsing, postulating, organizing, reading, shopping, et cetera, et cetera. So as you might imagine, when the internet mysteriously disappears over the course of several days, I'm a bit put out. Though it has actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it helps to put time spent on computer into perspective. I'll chalk it up to the behavioral residue of my former lame office job, but go forward knowing that a person certainly does not need to spend hours of her time comparing and contrasting dive gear bags (Akona roller backpack is ginormous and amazing), for instance, or looking for the best deal on a 5-disc yoga intensive in Estes Park, CO (I'm still a sucker for anything Iyengar yoga-related). I've yet to find comfortable surroundings for writing my blog away from home, but today (being the exception), I'm at the library, and preferred writing to studying.

Apparently, what little winter we get here in SB is winding down. This has been the driest year since sometime in the 30's, I seem to remember hearing. The temps are in the 60s and the nights are still cool, but there's little rain, and lots of sunshine. Which I sort of like, but it can't be good ecologically, I suppose.

Midterms/ MDT class finals are just around the corner. I have 2 tests next week for my classes: a written and practical application one for my commercial diving equipment class, and a day of diving at one of the Channel Islands. I'm preparing in earnest for both: diligently studying/practicing skills for commercial diving equipment, and shopping for diving necessities (so, actually, the dive bag shopping is sort of necessary!).

I think yesterday was about the coolest day I've had since arriving in SB, but I'll save that for when time isn't short and I don't have mounds of studying staring at me cross-eyed from across the table.

No comments: